Saturday, September 29, 2012

Café Tales VIII

So I walk into the office of this guy, this Indian guy – he’s new to the company, but here’s the thing – he was a chess grandmaster back in the day in Calcutta. And this intimidates me. The chess thing, the way it stood out on the newspaper clipping he had pinned to his board – ‘Youngest Indian Grandmaster at 13 years, 4 months and 22 days'. And, he may be big and wide and tall but it’s the chess thing that makes me uncomfortable, you know what I mean, anyway I walk into his office to convince him on a design that I’d come up with, and it’s a good design let me tell you, but I slipped into that mode I slip into when I need to convince someone that I’m smart and that I can come up with good ideas, and I start by making polite conversation with him – it’s getting chilly, eh? – stupid, inane shit and he’s nodding and nodding, not really saying anything, not even looking up at me from his computer screen, and I feel like I’m losing him, part of me has already started working out excuses to explain to my manager why I couldn’t convince an entry level engineer to implement her design, fine it was her design but I helped refine it, and… I’m intimidated by this guy right now, the fact that he’s a couple of seconds away from forgetting that I’m at the door talking to him, making shitty, small talk, and just as I decide, to hell with it, I’m just gonna get to the point, he turns his computer screen towards me and I see that he’s solved the problem, the logic’s different to my manager’s, but it’s simpler and gets the job done... and so I say “Hope the sun comes out soon.”

Motherfucker was always five moves ahead of me. 

Inspired by the punchline delivered by this awesome story teller. More tales this way.

No comments: