Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Born Standing Up

“I came up with several schemes for developing material. “I laugh in life,” I though, “so why not observe what it is that makes me laugh?” And if I did spot something that was funny, I decided not to just describe it as happening to someone else, but to translate it into the first person, so it was happening to me. A guy didn’t walk into a bar, I did. I didn’t want it to appear that others were nuts; I wanted it to appear that I was nuts.” – Steve Martin.

I read Shop Girl a couple of months ago and I’m halfway through Born Standing Up. I’ve become quite the fan of Steve Martin, the writer.

3 comments:

Gradwolf said...

Woah I didn't even know he wrote! Should look up...

neon said...

He's incredibly versatile - stand up comic, actor, novelist, screenwriter, playwrite & banjo player. Also extremely funny.

Anonymous said...

I just saw this post today. I too did not know that Steve Martin wrote. Must find his books.
Amas