Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Art through Experience

I was chatting with my sister about framing and putting up the following quote by Picasso in my new apartment: "I'm reading the paper; sitting around; I'm chatting; going for walks. But all of this is just perception. I'm actually working. Or rather: something is spinning around in my head and I'm just waiting to grab it and form it". This was a quote I read on the wall of a cafe in Swarovski Crystal World in Innsbruck. It's a quote that resonated with me as soon as I read it. I love it for how simply Picasso expresses that the sights and sounds of everyday life inspire his art.

My sister, on hearing the quote, was reminded by and pointed me to this monologue from Chekhov's 'The Seagull'. I found it to be absolutely brilliant - my favourite line being, "I see a cloud shaped like a grand piano. I think: I must mention somewhere in a story that a cloud went by, shaped like a grand piano."

7 comments:

girishsj said...

Awesome. I often store away information like this to put it to use somewhere in my writing (it's one of the great things about having an ipod touch)

It's awesome that I'm in such awesome company. Fascinating.

neon said...

So so true, the notes app in ipod touch is literally my little writer's notepad.

Anonymous said...

And when you really meditate solutions to problems and ideas to improve form in your head unasked. This is because of what is mentioned in your quote by Picasso. In the quietness of your mind during meditation everything falls in place.
amas

Raveena said...

Words that stick around! :)

neon said...

@amas,

Coffee does that for me, maybe I'll discover the power of meditation when I can truly stop my mind from wandering every other second.

@Raveena,

And for good reason :)

lavanya said...

unrelated but anyway, i can't write on the computer anymore! im on some other kind of addiction level to the notes app!

Neon said...

i've got so much on my notes app i need to keep backing it up on my pc! it's great cos my ipod touch is always on me unlike my laptop