Wednesday, December 23, 2009

23 Days of Winter

I’ve been in Chennai since the 18th of December thanks to my winter break and one of my aims has been to do nothing  that could be considered productive. I feel I deserve the opportunity to laze away after a semester of Physics 303L. In order to quickly unlearn all the physics I’ve learned, I watched Vijay’s Vettaikaaran the other day. The only highlight, really, of the experience was when my friend offered me some of his chocolate brownie.

Moving on to current issues, a couple of hours ago, my dad saw me sitting around updating my iTunes library and must have realized that I was being a waste of space. So he asked me to come up with a list of things I intended to accomplish while on break from college. It seems very counter-intuitive, this whole doing stuff while on holiday, but I shall give it a go since I clearly have nothing better to do than to fill out artist names for my music collection.

So this winter break, I intend to:

1. Practice playing the guitar – I used college as an excuse to explain why the repertoire of songs I could play on the guitar was terribly limited. Now that my only physical activity involves moving food from the plate to the mouth, I might as well learn how to play a few more songs on the guitar. From what I hear, the guitar, if played  well, can be used to woo the opposite sex.  So, really, nothing to lose.

2. Plan my Euro-trip – I want to go on a backpacking trip across Europe in the summer and that involves a certain amount of planning. I wrote down the list of cities I want to visit and clearly 28 cities in 31 days might be a stretch. It’s hard to decide which cities to cut, but one city I want to visit for sure is Barcelona. Sure Vicky Cristina  Barcelona was only a movie, but I’m certain that I’m destined to run into Penelope Cruz there. I wouldn’t want to disappoint her by visiting Madrid, instead.

3. Immerse myself in the Madras Music Season – It would be a shame to miss out on the tons of awesome concerts happening this time of the year. There are so many brilliant musicians playing that I can’t decide who I want to see. Last year when I went for a Mandolin Srinivas concert, all the tickets were sold out. To my surprise, you could sit on the stage next to the musician by paying an insanely small amount (I think Rs. 20) and so I got to listen to Mandolin Srinivas and his brother Rajesh from the best seat in the house. It is however essential to note that everyone in the crowd can also see you and so picking your nose is a big no-no.

4. Finish reading at least one book – My parents and my sister finish the books that they read, and they read quite a bit. This has led to quite a collection at home and I’ve started reading 4 different books. History, however, dictates I won’t finish any of them. I made a promising start and was halfway through Jhumpa Lahiri’s ‘Interpreter of Maladies’ only to be tempted by Craig Ferguson’s ‘American on Purpose’. Plus there is Dan Brown’s formulaic ‘The Lost Symbol’ that I started reading a couple of days ago over lunch and an anthology of PGW’s Psmith stories that kept me entertained while Lufthansa was trying their best to make sure I had as little leg room as possible.

I’ve got a few hours before Neo Cricket’s pointless game day analysis begins, and I think I’ll try to finish Lahiri’s book by then. Fingers crossed.

8 comments:

Girish said...

Vetti Payale

Idling in Top Gear said...

From what I hear, the guitar, if played well, can be used to woo the opposite sex.

Concentrate on learning just 3 Spanish/ Flamenco pieces. Works 10x better than knowing 100 rock songs.

Coconut Chutney said...

@idling
how do you know?

euro trip? go to amsterdam :D

neon said...

@Girish,

Good feeling, innit?

@Idling,

Yes, sir. Found the perfect beginner flamenco piece to learn :)

@chutney,

Amsterdam was the first place on the list :)

Dr. K Bodhi :D said...

Dude. Backpacking is awesomest. Please do not stay in swanky hotels. Stay in hostels and you get to meet such interesting charachters.

Mahek said...

Look into "couch surfing" while planning for the trip this summer. I wish I could do this with you man.

pcbbuying said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
popbuying said...

good feeling,it's the nature !