Wednesday, December 24, 2008

This and all...

I've known K for almost 7 years now. We met in the 9th standard when I joined a new school. We were classmates and we were also two amongst a total of 7 people who took Tamil in the 9th. That number dwindled down to 3 in the 11th and 12th standard. Surprisingly, we have never spoken to each other in Tamil.

Yesterday, I met him after a year and a half, and we spoke, as usual, completely in English. A common friend of ours called in the middle and I immediately reverted to Tamil when I was on the phone, and so did K. And once he hung up, it was all English again.

I guess I must have spoken in English for the most part when I joined that new school and I guess that's probably why we've never been able to start off with a 'dei, enna da panra?' ('what you up to?'). Instead of saying 'idhellam over da', we have to use convoluted sentences such as 'this is and all too much', thereby indicating that we are Tamil in our hearts but that we use English solely as a means of conveying the thoughts we have in Tamil.

Maybe since I am so extremely jobless right now, I'll try talking to him only in Tamil. It's always good to fill up time trying to put people at unease, right?  

3 comments:

Apple said...

Cheer!! Merry X’mas & Happy New Year!! Wish you all the best in year 2009!!!

lavanya said...

Idha dhaan enga oorla naanga peterthanam nnu solluvom.

Ram said...

Hmmmmmmmm... Cant think of anything:D