Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Offensive Articles

I am part of a magazine called Nazar, and yesterday we got a disturbing email. I've pasted the initial email and the conversation that followed (names of Nazar committee members changed to their committee positions).

-------------
From: Mr. K (name changed)
Date: Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM
To: mailnazaronline@gmail.com


President.

I write this email in reference to two articles that were published in your magazine, Nazar - A South Asian Perspective. The two articles I talk about are M.F. Husain - The Wronged One and your cover story, Is Mumbai Losing Its Secular Charm?

On behalf of the Indian American Intellectual Forum, I would like to strongly recommend you to take down these two articles with immediate effect. Your cover story demeans Mr. Raj Thackeray who has stood up to his beliefs, by asking him if he would like to be a night watchman. I am deeply disappointed that the youth of today do not show the desired respect to older individuals.

The article on M.F Husain portrays the painter as being wronged. This is completely wrong, his paintings have degraded Hindu Gods and Goddesses for years now and the article seems to absolve him of his wrongdoings.

If the articles are not removed, we might have to take more serious actions.

Regards,

Mr. K
President, Indian American Intellectual Forum
----------

From: Nazar <mailnazaronline@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:53 PM
To: Nazar Committee


What do you guys think?

----------
From: Editor-In-Chief
Date: Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:30 PM

To: Nazar Committee

Hey guys,

I just spoke to (the President) and he wanted to me inform all of you that the best thing to do in this situation is to formulate a generic legal letter which we can send out to anyone who send us such emails in the future. For this, we will have to go to Texas Publications or some other form of legal assistance. Basically the guys who sent us this email have terrible points ( I really don't give a crap if I'm not respecting Raj Thackrey- my "elder").. and there is NO form of action that they can take. However, if they do take some "action" ( I don't know what) before we get this legal document intact, we can get our own lawyer - they give UT students free legal advice on campus - Im not sure exactly where but it can be very easily looked up. Let me know what you guys think and if any of you can give us some more information. One thing we should refrain from doing ( no matter how hard it is) is to send a long abusive mail back.

-Editor-In-Chief

----------
From: Vice President
Date: Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM
To: Nazar Committee

Hey!

I completely agree with Editor-In-Chief and President's idea. I think that formulating a generic legal letter would be the right thing to do so as to prevent such groups from 'bullying' us to give in to their own beliefs. But before we do anything, I think we should approach Texas Publications on advice in handling such matters and then if necessary take the university legal services' help.

Cheers,
Vice President

----------
From: Mr. K (name changed)
To: Nazar Committee

I would like to thank all of you for making April Fools Day 2008 one of my best.


Regards,

Mr. K aka Niyantha Shekar
------

From: Editor-In-Chief
Date: Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM
To: Nazar Committee

niyantha is going to be killed. wait and watch.

----------------------

I doubt there is any real truth to that threat...


P.S: No offense meant to the Indian American Intellectual Forum, it was all in jest.

5 comments:

Varsha said...

I read the "Mr.K aka Niyantha Shekar" as Mr. Kaka Niyantha Shekhar. Seriously.


You've made my day.

neuroticteletubby said...

lol! joy :)

i've restarted btw,
neuroticteletubby.wordpress.com

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

bwahahaha! i liked!

Nimisha said...

wow. wow. wow.

I thought I was pretty good at pranks. (I've fooled 40 people simultaneously in the past). Looks like I have competition!

Alaknanda said...

haha thats funnnyyy!!! how come the writers dint get involved.

meanie!