Thursday, November 08, 2007

Deepavali...

Sometimes, the smallest things can make you miss home the most. Not being able to listen to the Sun TV announcer go 'Thiraikku vandhu sila maathangalae aana super hit athiradi thiraipadam!' (super hit action movie that was in theaters just months ago), or waking up at 4:30 am with the aim of bursting crackers and instead sitting and drinking coffee for a full half hour, or even the dread with which I sit while my mom puts oil on my hair and forces me to have a bath with sheekai (yes that’s how I say it). Deepavali was just such a special festival - the vain attempts at trying to burst a bijili in my hand, the abundance of good food and the ever present threat of being hit by a 'colour' or 'bomb' rocket. There is none of that here, well there are going to be some fireworks tomorrow from what I hear, but it’s not the same thing.

For me Deepavali was all about those small things. The joy of coming up with a complicated arrangement with old cans, lots of sand and crackers just to see the cans move an inch when the cracker burst was just amazing. Even tolerating the neighbour who kept commenting that we were burning our parent's money away (he was a big metaphor person) was part of the fun. For some weird reason he was known as 'Samosa thalai' (Samosa head). I still don't know why.

I watched the trailors of Saawariya and Om Shanti Om now and that kind of brought back all the memories of Deepavali. The big budget movies, released amidst huge huge hype, that I never got tickets to and always seemed to disappoint when I finally got to see them. The only movie I ever got to see on Deepavali was that Vikram starrer Majaa and boy was that a bad movie. But still, its part of the whole Deepavali memory that I cherish.

It's a great festival, Deepavali, and it was never about the fireworks for me (I even stopped buying crackers after a while). It was about spending that day with family, a great group of friends, and of course watching those 'super hit' movies on TV.

Happy Deepavali :)

3 comments:

Lavanya said...

Orey feelings-a irukku.
:|
I'm pretty sure you've seen these cold wars among neighbours as well - these pakkathaathu mamas n mamis will
compete n all in my area, who can veduchufy more.
This year, one mama went to the extent of saying "chumma adhurudhile"
Thaangamudila.
Don't forget the special pattimandrams in sun tv, and then the TV wars, each channel trying to outdo the other on showing the latest movies. Perusa plan poduven, indha padam andha channel-la paakanum andha padam indha channel-la paakanummnu, kadaseela road-la lakshmi vedi vechundruppaen and invariably miss everything.

Deepavali was just such a special festival - the vain attempts at trying to burst a bijili in my hand, the abundance of good food and the ever present threat of being hit by a 'colour' or 'bomb' rocket

Bwaha, enga pakathaathu saet mama knows that feeling only too well.

Deepavali rocks.
=D

Something tells me I'm not making you feel any better about this.

Oh well, happy deepavali anyways.

Project 71 said...

Hi! My name is Project 71. Weird name I know, but my masters are weird too. My masters apologize for such an out-of-context comment and they know how painful such spamlike comments are. But, say masters, how else are we to present something good to the world. By that they mean me :D. Kindly see what I am about. Won't take you more than 22s to read... http://www.project71.com/readme Enjoyy!

UD said...

"Diwali is simply a Hindu Halloween" ;)