Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Experiencing joblessness

I have had 4 hours of sleep and I have sat in front of a computer for 15 of the last 24 hours. I am so tired, but I am done with my exams and homework. A normal person would take this opportunity to sleep but I like to experience joblessness. I like to sit around and watch people hurrying from place to place, appreciating how beautiful the world is. I prefer to sit and do nothing, it is an amazing feeling. Especially when you feel that you've earned a day or two of bliss, away from academic worries and other pressures. The last time I felt this way, I blogged and this is my first post in almost a month. It's been a hectic semester.

Two weeks ago, I went to the University's career expo to see if companies would like to hire me as an intern for the summer. It was pretty awesome, dressing up in 'Business Formals'. Wearing a tie is kind of painful though, I always get the feeling that it's going to choke me. I looked especially smashing, if I may say so myself (I doubt anyone else would). I came back from the expo with a bag full of goodies - a Microsoft electronic sudoku game, a Sun Microsystems calculator and torch light, an eBay bottle opener and stress relievers (those spongy things that just make you want to crush the hell out of), a toy truck (!), an NVIDIA backpack, a Google dry erase board and quite a few free shirts. My room now reeks of product placement. Everywhere you look there is something that has the logo of a Fortune 500 company. I also go to class wearing a HP t-shirt, write with an eBay pen and drink from a SunGard water bottle. Best thing about college - there is so much free swag if you know where to look.

The upcoming week promises to be exciting. I’ve got a few interviews lined up and I don't have any exams to worry about. There is also a 5 kilometer marathon that is being organized for charity on Sunday. I am incredibly tempted to sign up for that. Running (or rather walking) a marathon has always been on top of my list of things to do and this is a perfect opportunity. The closest thing I've done to a marathon is running away from a dog in Hawaii and so I don't have any expectations. I will be satisfied and even proud of myself if I complete the marathon. As Michael Scott from 'The Office' says, "It's not about winning, it's about finishing". I couldn't agree more.

4 comments:

Lavanya said...

Good to see you back i say!
:D

I wish my employers gave me a toy truck.
They did teach me to go on trains though.
Does that count?

But I prefer the truck. Any day.
Especially if its a red truck.

deepanjali said...

Your blog is nice. I think you should add your blog at BlogAdda and let more people discover your blog. It's a great place for Indian bloggers to be in and I am sure it would do wonders for your blog.

lemonade said...

lucky you! all that swag!!

Aditya said...

*sigh*...here I am in the middle of 10th standard watching everyone skip free of burdens...