Sunday, July 15, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Movie Review

I never thought that I would be seeing the latest Harry Potter flick on Saturday (especially when all the tickets for the weekend were sold out by the time I was able to log into thecinema.in) but thanks to the patience and determination of my sister and a friend, I found myself sitting in the second row from the screen at Seasons, trying to watch the movie without spraining my neck. I can't complain though- it was a 10 rupee ticket.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is a well made movie. It has been well publicised that this movie has the shortest running time compared to its prequels even though the book it's based on is not small. However, it works. The screenplay was very good and they managed to include everything in the book, like Occlumency lessons with Snape and Fred & George's awesome get away, without spending too much time on each. I was really looking forward to seeing Imelda Staunton as Professor Dolores Umbridge and she didn't disappoint. I think Umbridge is one of the better characters that Rowling has created and Staunton with her annoying little laugh and pretentious smile stole the show. There were quite a few awesome moments in the movie, like when Harry and the wizards from the Order of the Phoenix fly through London on their broomsticks and I felt that the usage of scenes from previous movies during the Occlumency lessons was a nice touch.

The acting in this movie was definitely better than the fourth one and David Yates has done an awesome job in recreating the book's best chapters into something equally fascinating on screen. The tempo is kept up throughout the movie but I was slightly disappointed with the climax. I guess I was expecting a lot more kick ass wand waving. Regardless, this is my favourite movie in the Harry Potter series so far and it's just got me even more excited about the release of the last book of the series.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - go watch it, preferably from a seat towards the back of the theater :)

My verdict: 7/10

12 comments:

Aditya said...

I watched it on Wednesday the 11th. Loved it...but sadly no Quidditch.

Manasi Subramaniam said...

I say. Why didn't you mention the superb company you had?

Neon said...

@aditya,

Yea i didn't think about quidditch not being there in the movie till you wrote that comment.

@manasi,

Sorry, my bad

lemonade said...

loved the scene where all the prophecies crash to the ground..couldn't help but hold my breath!!

Mridhulaa said...

Ola! Nice blog u got there!

And Neo, least your grandmom doesn't make it a point to drishti-suttify you every now and then even in front of your friends.

Yeesh, believe me, I know this "eye-putting" thing only too well...

Mridhulaa said...

Ola! Nice blog u got there!

And Neo, least your grandmom doesn't make it a point to drishti-suttify you every now and then even in front of your friends.

Yeesh, believe me, I know this "eye-putting" thing only too well...

Niyantha said...

In front of your friends?? Ok, now that doesn't happen to me lol

lavanya said...

Propaganda for a 11 year old.
I'm drunk, alright? really drunk.

*chirpy voice*
Do check out my sister's blog!

lavanya said...

that stupid link thingy isnt working. My html is super rusty.
anyways:

Varsha said...

varshamohan.blogspot.com,

my sister(lavanya) can't do anything right,i swear

lavanya said...

you just had to mention my name, didnt you?
im perfectly justified in calling you a moron.
So there
:P

Varsha said...

harry potter five is one of the most slowest boring movies in the history of slow boring movies.
watched at INOX
atleast the theater made up for it...