Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The grey box dictates my life

Well, it has been some time since I last blogged. The reason for this is not because I forgot about the existence of mendelismental.blogspot.com or because I had seemingly better things to do. It was because I had to complete one homework after another and study for one test after another. I did want to blog, as the picture of my desktop screen shown below verifies. I really did want to but as the grey box in the picture shows, I hardly have any time for non-academic things.

Click to enlarge

Life here as a college student isn't easy. When I left from India, many people told me that my first year should be a breeze. Their reason for that conclusion, "You're Indian da". Unfortunately, I am struggling to keep up with the course material being covered. I never learnt how to identify the different kind of discontinuities or figure out the value of epsilon when delta is greater than (x-a), in high school. In college, a couple of problems are worked out on the board and the remaining problems have to be studied by the student with the resources that he has, namely, a giant $150 book which is definitely not worth its weight in gold. The same holds through for Physics. My professor does half of the problem on the board and asks the students to complete the problem. That does not work for me because I don't even understand how he did the first half of the problem. Sociology is interesting but the book that I have to read is a drag. I should actually be reading that but I'm afraid that it would put me to sleep. Just thinking about it makes me yawn.

I haven't uploaded my pics yet and I shall put them up here as soon as I upload them. I’ve got to get back to my books now. A long and tiring week lies ahead :-(

P.S: A piece of advice- Alcohol and Math don't mix. Don't drink and derive! (Saw it on someone's t-shirt).

8 comments:

hamsini said...

I never learnt how to identify the different kind of discontinuities or figure out the value of epsilon when delta is greater than (x-a), in high school.

DUH!!!You were a state board student!:P

Oh,and What's this socio book you have to read?

And good luck with all your tests!

Neon said...

Egjactly. And the book I need to read is called Essentials of Sociology by Lindsey-Beach.

Aashirwad said...

Don't despair, fair friend...just think about the gang back here. We'll give you a pompous welcome back once you're here - trumpets, red carpet, n all

Antarius said...

just go thru it... studying in the US has its advantages... on the fun side and post graduation

Vishal said...

oh gaad.. ur life is busy.. enjoy mate.. hope all is well..

SC said...

alchohol and calculus sounds catchier.
or calculus and alcohol!

sims said...

interesting blog..

Yit is I again. said...

Yes yes, come back home neon, fastly.
I dont know about red carpet n all but i can give something else thats just as nice.
Or even better.
ehe.