Monday, August 07, 2006

Press 1 to feel stupid

For the past two days I have not been able to connect to the internet and for the past two weeks my Internet Service Provider has blocked me from viewing any website that has the word 'blogspot' in the URL. A call to the call center dude of this ISP, asking him why his company continued to impose the ban when even the government had given the thumbs-up sign to the internet community to get back to their blogging and Mumbai blast investigations, did not make the situation better. He had apparently never heard of a blog before and he had considerable difficulty in typing ‘mendelismental’ in the address bar of his browser. At the end of a thirty minute phone call, during which he made me unplug my modem, restart my computer, clear my history and cache, he asked me what I meant when I said that his company was still blocking blogs. I think he could feel feelings of anger and frustration coming from my end of the receiver and so he followed the next instruction written on his "Steps to follow to make your customer feel like an amazingly idiotic git for actually thinking that a phone-call to the customer hotline will help him out" card. He put me on hold.

Let's just say that I came out of the phone-call more disillusioned and less enlightened about my current problem. I realized, with a touch of sympathy for myself, that my current situation could not be fruitful for me in any way. There was no internet, Bold and the Beautiful was getting more and more complicated with Brooke getting 'affections' for her son-in-law, and I had nothing to do or see. My IPod refused to work for some unknown reason and the fact that I would be leaving Chennai in less than a week seemed to bum me out. Luckily, the cast party for the play mentioned in the previous post was held yesterday and it was fun.

We played an intriguing game called "Truth or Chooth/Chute", an off-shoot of the more popular "Truth or Dare" game. The rules of the game: Say the truth or F*** off. I think that since the rules are so succinct, this game has a good future. It would be a good ice-breaker in a party, “Hey, who wants to play Truth or Chooth/Chute?”. Try it out - it’s bound to get you some fans.


11 comments:

Siddhu said...

Where you off to?

Neon said...

The University of Texas at Austin, going to do computer science.

Ramanujam said...

good luck for ur new venture....
keep blogging abt ur experiences there...

Neon said...

Thanks ramanujam. Well i hope to continue blogging at austin, hopefully lots of interesting stuff are in store for me.

hamsini said...

NEON!!!DON'T PANIC!!!

You have a point there though!!Help Line Dudes!!!*headesk*

And ALl the very best,and don't neglect your blog at Austin!!

Siddhu said...

Awesome uni, dude! :)

All the best!! :D

I know a guy who knows a guy who went to Austin for his under-grad. That guy's now at MIT!!!

Neon said...

@Hamsini,
Yes, won't panic, lol. I'm definitely going to blog in Austin, have to make fun of the umricans kno?

Neon said...

@Siddhu,
Thanks, glad that you concur with my university choice. And abt the UT->MIT thing, good to know that it can be done :)

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

Lavanya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Like You dont know who this is said...

Dei naaye yenda pona?
=(

The weather back at home is so awesome, the rain n all, makes me feel so mushy and romantic but in the end I'm bloody sitting alone and typing mokka comments.

Chooth.
You Only.