Saturday, August 12, 2006

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna- Movie Review

Ah, finally the day has come. It's off to Texas (though some say Tex now, apparently something to do with the ass going to Washington) tonight and surprisingly all the sadness or whatever feelings I felt towards living in a different country have gradually receded. I'm all set, finally.


So to commemorate my leaving Chennai, I saw a film directed by my least favourite talk show host and director- Karan Johar. I had absolutely no expectations on how the film would be and I was pleasantly surprised. There were no annoying family bonding scenes but unluckily there had to be a kid with a violin. The songs were awesome and the choreography was good too. The story was realistic enough for Bollywood's standards. Amitabh Bachchan rocked! Abhishek, SRK and Rani were good enough. Preity Zinta could have been better. Arjun Rampal had absolutely no screen presence. I kept laughing whenever he came on screen. Plus, there were special appearances by Kajol (in Rock n Roll Soniye) and John Abraham (in Where's the party tonight). One big drawback about KANK is that the movie is 3 hours 15 minutes long! Just when you think that the movie is over, there is another twist to the storyline. Editing should have been sharper and there was no need to play out the whole title track when nothing really important was happening on screen. But overall, I feel that KANK is a decent film that does not depend on flamboyance (ala K3G) to keep the audience interested nor does it have a shoddy screenplay (ala Kuch Kuch Hota Hai) that makes the movie seem unbelievable. KANK-Worth a watch.

My Verdict: 6/10

P.S: I will blog in the US, so watch this space!

19 comments:

Vishal said...

u lucky duck .. off to austin.. home of bush :D.. damn.. u gonna have fun there.. man they have to be dumb to elect him..

Ramanujam said...

Watching this space;)
Good luck!
have not yet watched the movie...
il do as everyone has given a positive sign....

svblj said...

hey ......its funny u r writing a review at all to a hindi movie even though u dont understand hindi.........u shld try writing for something something unakkum enakkum da......the dumbest movie ever made....

Lavanya said...

Why watch, i'll stare at this space!
Hope you had a great trip!
May the TR be with you!

Bina007 said...

You're so generous to this film! I thought is sucked. This was meant to be the daring, serious movie and it was just as mushy as all the others.

dOne said...

Karan Johar owes you a cameo role in his next venture.

Neon said...

@vishal,
I intend to have fun here!

@ramanujam,
Thanks:)

Neon said...

@svblj,
Well, it is a review that people who do not understand Hindi(I think you fall into that category) might relate to. If I knew Hindi, this review would have been way longer.

Neon said...

@lavanya,
The trip was tiring! Jet lag hitting hard!!

Neon said...

@bina007,
Well, I don't think that this movie is going to be India's oscar entry(tho i wouldnt put it past our censor board to do something like that) or anything like that. I had some fun watching it, probably because the first day first show atmosphere was electric. I think that it is the best film that Karan Johar has directed but again that doesnt say much about the quality of the film. I feel that KANK is worth a watch though.

Neon said...

@done,
Haha, I shall decline if such an offer does come my way.

equilibrium said...

You liked the movie?? I thought it was dumb...more dumber coz I was standing in the queue at 7 am for the tickets....and the movie blessed me with sleep!!

Was it for 3 hrs 15 min?? I never knew.

Texas huh?? Good luck!!

Aashirwad said...

Haeowdy pardner!
Tex near mex? Nice...[didn't want to rhyme on that any further...]

Yes, you have a point there - if you DID understand Hindi the review would have been much longer...as in my case.

Just clarifying one thing: I wasn't trashing the film, if that's what you mean by "...I don't entirely agree with your review..." I just omitted the bits about which actors did really well, deciding to concentrate more on the story-ish and hype-ish aspects...something people rarely do.

Neon said...

@equilibrium,
Thanks. And thats why Satyam Cinemas here in Chennai rocks, we have online booking :)

@aashirwad,
I thought that Karan's prev films were bad and that's where I disagreed with you. I actually thought that your review praised the film a lot.

hamsini said...

Unbelievable!!First good review I'm seeing on KANK..and that too by you!!!Bush rubbed off on you already or something??O_O

hamsini said...

*of KANK

Uren Dhanani said...

i hated KANK and after sitting n 2 weeks worth of philosophy classes, I am in a position to write a report on the impact of KANK on the moral values of our society and the culture.... (yawn) the technical stuff was good (settings, acting etc) but the story was immoral...

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »