Thursday, August 17, 2006

Its dal, you know....err, you mix it in rice and eat it?

I reached Houston on Sunday feeling a bit dazed and worn out. I never thought that a 22 hour trip across the Atlantic would be so unbelievably annoying. I mean, I know people who jump up and down if they are going to take a flight to the US. Maybe they were more enthusiastic about the destination rather than the travel.

Anyway, due to the Brits' unexpected 'intelligence', a terrorist attack was brilliantly foiled and new security measures were put into place. No liquids or fluids were allowed on the plane. Now, I found this rule quite stupid because I needed to keep my retainers submerged in a Tupperware box filled with water. Since water was not allowed, whenever a security guard was in sight, I had to take my retainers from the box and put it in my mouth and empty the water in the nearest dust bin. To my distress, there were many security guards and many many security checks. You may ask me, "Why didn’t you just keep the damn retainers in your mouth the whole time?" Well I could not eat with the retainers in my mouth and when you go to the airport 5 hours before the scheduled take-off, you tend to feel a tad bit hungry an hour into the whole process.

Luckily I got into the flight to Frankfurt without incident. The security check at Frankfurt turned out to be a bit more interesting though. The security guards made the passengers remove their shoes, jackets, wigs (we could keep our underwear on luckily). Now, my mother loves her South Indian food and she had brought along 'paruppu podi (dal powder)' in a zip lock bag. The guard felt that something was wrong when he saw two Asians carrying what looked like a bag of whitish yellow powder in a zip lock bag. My mom, not realising that the powder keenly resembled a psychotropic substance, started telling the guard to throw the bag away (we were running late for our flight and my mom was panicking. I maintained a calm face throughout this trying time). So the bag had to be put through a special test after which we were given the bag back with the thumbs up sign.


The Bag of Paruppu Podi

My mom was like, "They think this is cocaine?" and I'm like "Shush! Put the powder back in the suitcase and let’s scoot!" You can never be considered innocent when you're carrying a bag of powder in an airport in this day and age. Sigh, what has the world come to?

11 comments:

Ramanujam said...

read this related line today...
"get ready to be seen naked at airports soon!!!"
parupo podi thing...LOL:)

svblj said...

same problem allover the world ....ppl just dont recognise indian food .....they made us throw out all the podis we had ..when i went to australia.... cos they said it was unhygeinic and wasnt allowed inside australian teritory

Aashirwad said...

er...

themonk said...

glad to know u made it thro... Wen u leavin houston for austin?

Gaya said...

Lol! poor you..

Antarius said...

houstton rocks.. Rice University is the best... we get signal

Siddhu said...

You at Rice? Somebody i know is doing her PhD there. Need anything, buzz me! :)

Neon said...

No, I'm at UT Austin wonly. UT rocks!

Vishal said...

lol.. looks like ur haveing a blast :D

Siddhu said...

Sweeet!!! :D (read Cartman-style, not stupid, retarded girl-style)

CS?

Neon said...

haha yea im doing CS