Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Midnight Madness

The world cup is drawing to a close and I have come to the conclusion that whichever team that I unassumingly support crashes out of the tournament. Yesterday it was Germany and before that it was Brazil. Watching the world cup has been a very interesting experience for me. One thing I have managed to do in the past month is to stay awake past midnight and watch the football matches. I used to find it difficult to stay up past 10 before but this world cup has given me the power to conquer time. Given my previous inability to listen to the dogs bark at midnight or listen to the sound made by the Gurkha tapping his stick on the road, my new found power gave me lots of joy.

Yesterday night I was waiting for the football match to begin and I could feel myself drifting off. So I came online thinking that if I looked at a bright screen for an hour, my drowsiness would go away. I know that this idea of mine would make you think that my brain was probably misplaced but I beg to differ. I am very different from my fellow men and women. I like to do things differently. Why? It's just my way. I once woke up at 4, brushed my teeth and went back to sleep. Yea, I guess that is pretty weird but hey, you've got only one life, be weird.

So as I was saying, I sat in front of the computer for an hour and soon my eyes began to open and close every two seconds. Luckily the match was on its way by then and I felt that this would pep me up. As has been the case for me with all the midnight matches so far, I began to feel very hungry by the 25th minute of the game. Now, I do not pride myself on my cooking skills, especially when I am walking around with one eye open. I decided to make myself a nice, tasty sandwich. Unfortunately the toaster didn't work and I was not sure how to work the stove. So I took two slices of bread, placed a frozen cheese slice between them and stuffed it in my mouth. True to popular conception, it tasted horrible. I decided that I would have some unboiled, cold milk to complete my midnight feast. Unfortunately, my good friend returned to talk to me about his role as a night-time predator and I ran away from the kitchen with the bread in my mouth.

80 minutes into the game and I was sitting on the chair struggling to keep my eyes open. It was the same feeling I felt when I read Shantaram in the morning (of which I've finished 551 pages. I rock, don't I?). Before I knew it, I fell of the chair and on to the bread crumbs on the floor. I realized that there was no use trying to keep myself awake when the two stupid teams hadn't even scored a goal yet. So, I brushed my teeth at 1.30 and fell off to sleep, unaware that I had forgotten to switch of the TV. Man, do I rock!

P.S: For more weirdness, check this out. The author of that post has just been admitted to a mental asylum.

8 comments:

Ghost Particle said...

Man...its happening everywhre!!!

Antarius said...

why didnt u tell me this earlier... In the group stages I wouldve paid u to support England......

Ramanujam said...

same thing with me dude,supported argentina,ENGLAND and Brazil in the quarter finale and hoooooooo....
Still fear cockroaches?????
itz difficult to stay awake after their exit....i din watch semi:(

money to make said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a money to make
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Vishal said...

lol.. good fun son.. hehe perfect night time snack would of course be.. bread with some curry on it.. sambar even..

Aashirwad said...

The only match in the world cup that I saw fully would be France vs Switzerland. I had homework that day (night?) and needed to stay up and do it after practice (for Aladdin of course)...So there I was looking bvetween the match and my english textbook. Couldn't decide which was more boring.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »