Thursday, June 08, 2006

Joga Bonito, whatever that means...

The FIFA World Cup begins tomorrow and I still don't know which team to support. Brazil has been touted to be the tournament favourites by everyone. Even a baby the size of a football might giggle when someone utters the name ‘Ronaldinho’. I generally like to be one who does not support the overwhelming favourites. So, I thought I would support England because I've been watching loads of EPL and I know how each player in the England squad plays(Well I don't know how Theo Walcott plays, but what the hell, even Ericsson does not know that). But the fact that the English treated us Indians like bitches in the early part of the twentieth century makes me feel guilty to say that I want them to win. It's a pretty stupid reason, but hey, there are 32 teams and I need to support only one of them.

To my dismay, I figured out that each team has a flaw:

France: The main supplier of footballers to Arsenal. Me being a Man U fan, I cannot even think of supporting such a team.

Netherlands: Arjen Robben always looks like he has something stuck up his nose.

Italy: I heard that an Italian company fired a South Korean footballer who worked for them because he slotted the golden goal in the previous world cup to send the Italians out of the tournament. Stupid spoilt sports shouldn’t be supported. Now, that’s a good example of alliteration.

Germany: Hitler.

Spain: They're winning everything. Alonso in F1 racing, Nadal in clay court tennis. Nah, can't support them.

That only leaves the underdogs and I don't think any of them have the quality to reach the World Cup Finals. So I have decided to be a neutral spectator for all the matches. It will be an interesting experience, not knowing which team you want to win. This is also helpful in a way cos I will not have sleepless nights wondering whether my chosen team will qualify or not.

The matches are slated to appear on ESPN-Star and I am really excited about the prospect of watching quality football on a channel that hires 'pundits' who actually know something about the sport. Hopefully, ESPN-Star does not keep up their annoying trend of having both English and Hindi commentary played simultaneously. Honestly, I cannot understand a thing.

So, with the World Cup beginning tomorrow, I can safely say that some of the enormous amount of boredom that I have been experiencing will go away and bother someone else who doesn’t know what to do with his time. So be gone boredom! See you on July 10th!

18 comments:

««ºP®åđđŷº»» said...

Hmmmm...well I am also rooting for ENGLAND with Portugal to be the runner up...and btw...you forgot to mention PORTUGAL with players like cristiano ronaldo,luis figo and deco..they too are top contenders..and u are spot on about France..a full Arsenal squad..makes me feel like Saha is the best player there..well and Italy are in serious problems after the match fixing scandals and juve being relegated..and u forgot to mention Argentina..with a team composed of quality players like MESSI,RIQUELME and Crespo..they to are good contenders.

And if you have a Set top box..dont worry about the hindi and english commentry..in your remote..there will be something as 'audio' or 'audio channel' or something..just change it to either left or right..on of them will be pure hindi and the other will be pure english..GO ENGLAND AND PORTUGAL GO!

Madhuri said...

Ayyo. Hitler was Austrian. And he was by no means the worst any country has produced. And that was over 60 years ago!

Just for that, I'm going to support Germany.

Madhuri said...

And poor Arjen Robben, whoever he is.

The Used said...

where d hell is england???and if u really dont know hu to support, GO IVORY COAST!!!!

The Used said...

p.s.ummm...u luk a lot like ur sister :D

Splutters said...

I'm supporting Spain because it has this really hot keeper - Alessandro Cassillas who keeps for Real Madrid! Go Alessandro! :D

Neon said...

@Praddy,
Thanks a lot for the tip. I was able to listen to English commentarey thanks to it.

@madhuri,
Just google image search Arjen Robben and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Neon said...

@theused,
I mentioned England at the beginning of the post. I kinda liked eing a neutral supporter. Made watching today's match so enjoyable.

And about me looking like my sister, you are so far the only one to think that way. People have actually mocked us for looking so different from each othe.

Neon said...

@splutters,
It's actually Iker Casillas, not Alessandro...

Antarius said...

Left Channel is english... most people dont know ABOUT THE commenTRY

And one thing.. DIE England

Neon said...

Are the words in capital supposed to be some kind of code?

Anonymous said...

yay for espnstar!And bhogle!:D:D:D

-hamsini

Gaya said...

I don't know which to support either; I only watch football for a week or two every four years when the world cup's on.

Aditya said...

What about BRAZIL?

Vishal said...

GO GHANA!!!

Neon said...

@Aditya,
I've mentioned Brazil at the beginning of the post.

@Vishal,
Yea man! Ghana all the way!

Ghost Particle said...

I am agreeing with you. ThiS WC is just no fun at all. And seing how these buggers win, playacting againts the big teams, it is not worth even supporting any team except the underdogs.

Anonymous said...

Bookstore
Save up to 40% on great reference books and software

Feature Articles
-Fourth of July Word Origins
-Student Won $1,000 by Correctly Spelling "Psalm" and "Theocracy"
-The Meaning of Tingo
-Dictionary.com Alphabet of Most Looked-Up Words in 2005
-Learning New Words, Increasing Your Vocabulary
-More Feature Articles

Fun & Games
-Crossword Puzzle
-30-day puzzle archive ( P )

Language Resources
-Word FAQs
-Dictionary.com Style Guide
-Grammar, usage & style
-The Dictionary Forum

Other Dictionaries
-Language: French, German, Italian, Latin, Spanish; more...
-Subject: crossword ( P ), legal, medical


Reference.com
Encyclopedia, almanac, Web Search

Thesaurus.com
Find synonyms & antonyms

Tools
Free software!
-CleverKeys
-Dictionary.com Toolbar
-more...

Translator
Translate text instantly

Word of the Day
Today's word is:
complaisant
-Get the Word of the Day e-mail
-Browse past Words of the Day
-Add the RSS Feed