Saturday, April 29, 2006

Be wary, be very wary...

I really do not think much about most insects. They mind their own business, I mind mine. Sadly there is this one insect I am kinda wary of. I am not scared of it, mind you, just wary. I mean you too would be wary of an insect that can supposedly survive a nuclear war and come out of it unscathed. It can also survive without its head for a month I believe (If you feel like puking, hey glad I could help).

Well I have had a torrid relationship with these nocturnal creatures and yes you're right, they strike in the night (If you feel scared now, don't worry. Just be wary). There used to be tons of cockroaches in the bathroom in my house and so whenever nature called in the night it was a tad difficult to attend that call, if you know what I mean. The ugly cockroaches were always there, right next to the shower, looking at me with their compound (I paid good attention in my tenth standard zoology class) eyes. It was a difficult task, making them get the hell out of the bathroom and it required good maneuvering skills which I sadly lacked and I didn’t know how to use a broom as a weapon. I have a tendency to get wary (not scared) whenever they start running towards me and it was only natural that I closed the door and jumped on my bed with my feet not touching the ground whenever such a situation arose.

Due to my unhappy trysts with cockroaches, our house was de-cockroached, i.e., some exterminators filled up some holes here and there and locked up the cockroaches. A couple of nights back I felt really thirsty and so I went to the kitchen to make myself some ovaltine. It was then that I got a sudden visit from my smelly friend (cockroaches fart every fifteen minutes I am told). There was a big, black cockroach standing or rather sitting right in front of me. So I did what any normal person wary of cockroaches would do. I ran to my sister and asked her to accompany me to the kitchen. She claims that she is not afraid of cockroaches and so I asked her to keep a watch on the cockroach while I made my ovaltine. Maybe it did it just to spite me, but this brat of a cockroach hid under the chair as soon as my sister came into the kitchen. Talk about timing. This made my sister all smug and she started talking about how cockroaches are afraid of humans and not the other way around. I was so bugged that I spilt a lot of the ‘Aavin’ milk that my mom had kept in the fridge for the next morning and so I had to settle for a half cup of really bad ovaltine (it was past its expiration date I think). On the way back to my room, I could have sworn that the cockroach gave me a nasty look as if to say, “I’ll be back”. And I, the wary one, ran straight to my room as if to say, “Well I wont!”. Damn these darn disgusting insects!

5 comments:

Aashirwad said...

They can survive nuke radiations, but the thermal (that's right, nuclear bombs emit a lot of heat) shock wave will definitely wipe them out, as with the rest of us.

Madhuri said...

Mary, Mary, quite contrary.
Saw a cockroach and was wary.
But 'twas the Ovaltine that was scary.
This post is worth of Dave Barry.

Gaya said...

Lol, aww. My dad's 'wary' of large cockroaches aswell. I, on the other hand, avoid lizards.

Siddhu said...

Agree with Madhuri! Worthy of Dave Barry, indeed! :)

Note: No cockroaches in UK, for some reason. At least, haven't seen any yet. Yay!

Note II: I hate cockroaches

Neon said...

@homicidalmaniac,
I definitely did not know that.

@madhuri,
Who is mary?

@gaya,
Lizards fall on my head sometimes...I dont know why

@siddhu,
Heh, the UK must have been de-cockroached