Wednesday, March 29, 2006

5 films in 3 days!

I've been on a movie watching spree recently and I've managed to see some absolutely brilliant movies and some equally shoddy ones too. Well, these are the reviews of the movies in the order in which I saw them.

Rang De Basanti:

I don't think any movie has disappointed me as much as this one. It had such a brilliant first-half and the tempo was set for a meaningful ending. Unfortunately the movie loses its way in the last 30 minutes. It is a brilliant movie in terms of the acting, bgm, direction, dialogues. It remains a brilliant movie in terms of screenplay until the 5 protagonists decide to take revenge by using violence. I'm always of the opinion that violence will never help matters. You cannot draw parallels between the times of Bhagat Singh and the modern day youth to show and justify that violence is required to wake people up. The movie was awesome at several fronts but the ending depressed me. It depressed me because Rakeysh Ohmprakash Mehra messed up the wonderful platform that he had set post-intermission.

The Chronicles of Narnia:

Well, to put it mildly, I hated this movie. It was so boring and the acting was pedestrian except for the little Lucy Pevensie (Georgie Henley) who was so cute. The fight scenes were just a joke in which a guy who’s never used a sword before commands an army of weird creatures and manages to hold off the all powerful White Witch before Aslan, the leader of the good side, finishes her off. The ending was quite weird too. The only thing that kept me interested for the 2 hours were the amazingly bad subtitles (I watched the movie on DVD). Whenever Lucy said “wardrobe”, the subtitles would show “bar”. I don’t know how they misinterpreted wardrobe like that but it was really funny.

Goal:

My friends and I bought the tickets for Goal two minutes after the movie had started and so we had to settle for the third row from the screen. It was a decent time-pass movie but it had really obvious plots and clichéd lines. The football matches were fun to watch with actual EPL players like Shearer and Gerrard taking the field. Watch it with a group of friends or else it might just be too boring.

Black:

Hands down, the best movie that I have ever seen. It was such a well-directed movie with brilliant acting from Amitabh Bachchan and Rani Mukherjee. Amitabh Bachchan as Debraj Sahai was so god damn amazing. I don't think I have ever seen an acting performance that has captivated and inspired me as much as this one. Ayesha Kapoor as the young Michelle McNally gave a stand-out performance. The idiots who sent Paheli as India's entry for the Foreign Film category of the Oscars instead of Black should have their brains checked. Black- a must-see movie from Sanjay Leela Bhansali.

Schindler's List:

I've always wanted to see this movie and I finally watched it yesterday. Schindler’s List shocks you; it scares you because it shows you how cruel humans can be. During the holocaust, the Nazis brutally murdered more than six million Jews. The Jews were organized in a line and shot so that they fell like a pile of dominoes. Old men and women were shot because they were not capable of doing any work. There is a shocking scene where children are piled up in a truck and taken away from their parents. The children wave to their parents, unaware of the terrible fate that awaits them as their parents run after the truck. The holocaust was a horrific event and this movie makes you understand why.

21 comments:

The Used said...

yeah goal is a movie ud never get bored watching especially with gerrard beckham lampard all in the movie.

i picked your link frm manasi`s bblog.

hamsini said...

Totally agree with your RDB movie!!

Anonymous said...

*i mean review-hamsini

Vishal said...

niiice.. ive also seen same amount of movies in the past three days .. but none cept enemy at the gates is worth reviewing.. now that is an awesome movie!!

Ghost Particle said...

you have chosen well i see....havent seen black yet...but will soon.

Ben said...

chronicles of narnia? oh no...it is really a movies for the kids mate....i think ice age 2 is better....

Gaya said...

Yeh, liked Enemy At The Ggates... you should try Saving Private Ryan; Black was brilliant, haven't watched Schindler's List yet...

Ben said...

Schindler's list is an awesome movie....and so is saving private ryan....
and i guess lord kungai is suffering from rigor mortis....

««ºP®åđđŷº»» said...

I agree wid Rang De Basanti..I TOTALLY DIDNT LIKE IT..i was expecting it to be an amazing movie..but it did not turn out so

The Used said...

actually freedom fiters in RDB wer shown to draw parallels between r politicians now n d britishers then...ew definitely need an awakening.

Neon said...

Monty,
I understand that the Britishers pre-1947 are used in RDB to draw comparisons with today's corrupt politicians but what I'm trying to say is that they are showing Bhagat Singh killing a Brit and then showing Aamir Khan killing the Defense Minister and trying to say that violence is required to create an awakening amongst the youth. I agree that we need an awakening and I think RDB accomplishes that to an extent but I feel that the ending spoilt the message that they were trying to put across, No country is perfect, you've got to make it perfect.

««ºP®åđđŷº»» said...

exactly neon..

Aashirwad said...

I, too have been on a movie spree. I reviewed one of the movies saw on my blog. Check it out if you can.
I kind of liked RDB. I don't think you should view the violence used by the five protagonists in the movie as the movie's message, neon...it's the message of action (in the sense of moving your arse and doing something about the situation instead of sitting and complaining) that counts. In the movie, the protagonists just happened to use violence as their means of action. But, actually, there are several other ways of doing this, which is the message we must look for in the story.

Neon said...

the protagonists just happened to use violence as their means of action.
Why didnt they use other means? Thats my question. I liked RDB too, its just that the ending disappointed me. Cinema is a powerful medium and directors have to understand that. People can get influenced. That was where aayitha ezhutu was different. Surya and Siddharth enter politics in the end. They do not kill the corrupt MLA. What i'm asking for is a logical ending.

««ºP®åđđŷº»» said...

GOAL! is a very nice movie though..after waiting for more than 8 months for it to release in India..it livd up to all my expectations

Ben said...

must see movie is the thin red line....any takers...

The Used said...

yeah n praddy put GOAL in his fav. movieas list in his blog profile even b4 it released or ferget dat, saw it!!!

Neon said...

lol!

««ºP®åđđŷº»» said...

aioooooooooooooo

Gaya said...

*snorts* :P :P

Ben said...

hey guys you must watch alien autopsy...am waiting for it to be released into a dvd