Saturday, December 31, 2005

Me and music- Why would anyone put the two together!

When it comes to music, I consider myself to be a jack of all trades, but a master of none. My involvement with learning music goes a long way back. I was around seven when I was first compelled to put my vocal skills to proper use. I was always under the impression that speaking a lot about un-important stuff fitted that category. Unfortunately, the people around me thought differently. My parents decided that I should learn to sing and so I was enrolled in a music class comprising of two oily kids, one pompous twit who couldn't stop singing, and me and my 4 year old cousin. I hated sitting in that place for an hour just to make weird noises with my mouth when I could have been outside making underground tunnels in the sand. So, due to my lack of interest in singing, the most I learnt was the basic sa re ga ma.

It wasn't entirely my fault though. Going to the music class itself was a big ordeal for me. On the way to our music class, my cousin and I had to pass this house which owned a huge black dog and we were incredibly terrified by it. My cousin used to listen to whatever I told him (unfortunately, the situation's a bit different now) and I convinced him that dogs were nasty creatures that would bite you if you frowned at them. So to the amusement of everyone on the road, we would have this big smile plastered on our faces whenever we walked past that house and we would break into a run once we had lost sight of the dog.

Later, once I had quit my singing class, I tried learning the piano and mridangam. I found the piano classes to be terribly boring. I hated just sitting on a chair and punching a few keys (surprisingly that's what I'm doing now!) and so I quit that too. The only piece that I can still play on the keyboard is Vande Mataram, so that's definitely going to be there in my list of accomplishments.

Learning the mridangam was a stupid idea in the first place. I used to get tired as soon as I tapped the round parts on either side of the drum a few times and my fingers really hurt too. Plus, I didn’t like the fact that mridangams were made with the skin of cows. So that plan went out of the window too.

Thus my pathetic attempts at learning music turned out to be pretty futile and so I decided to give it up altogether. Yes, I can understand, it is a shocking decision, but people let's face it, music and I go as well together as George Bush and a pretzel.

18 comments:

Antarius said...

I commented first!!!!
nyuk nyuk

pretty sad....
Moral of the Story: Listen dont play

Vishal said...

hehe.. yeh.. me has said similar ordeal with music.. tho singing career was cut short by crackin of voice.. and the piano and tabla my two instruments of choice didnt go past 3 months each...

Camphor said...

Did three of your vacal teachers have heart attacks the day (or week) before you were supposed to learn? Mine did. After that I figured I was a menace to the otherwise safe musical community and removed myself from the picture. :D

Happy New Year.

Neon said...

Antarius,
Moral of the Story: Listen dont play
Yup, figured out that much.

Vishal,
Atleast you had a proper reason(cracking of voice) for giving up singing. I didn't hav any acceptable excuse : (

Camphor,
Heart Attacks! Woah!

And
Happy New Year to all!

Harish said...

It's ok mate, there's one thing I can play very well, which I have full faith in you to master too..

playin on others' nerves!

Happy new year! :)

Neon said...

Yup, that I can do :) And happy new year!

Vishal said...

happy new ur matey..

Antarius said...

happy new year
same here... cracking of coice was damn convienient

Neha said...

cool post! Lol!!! But looks like u got loads of company :D. anyways HNY!

Anonymous said...

If you had only been a bit more patient in those classes, you wouldn't have been neon. You would have had a funky name like 'bathroom bhagavadhar' or summat like that. :-)
hobbes

Neon said...

Neha,
Yup, have lots of company and thanks!

Neon said...

Hobbes,
Yea, Bathroom Bagavathar, what I wouldn't do to get that name...

Gaya said...

Lmao :D I used to play the cello, it used to be a total earsore, besides the fact that it used to be one and a half times my size.

Praveen said...

lol..ive tried music too...i used to hide myself in a cupboard when the tutor came home :D

happy new yr :)

Neon said...

Gaya,
The cello is such a cool instrument. I've always wondered about how one caries it around though.

Praveen,
Heh, though stuffing the tutor in the cupboard would have been a better long term solution. Happy New Year to you too.

Vishal said...

LOL.. GAYA AND A CELLO?? loooooooooooooool.. gonna be laughing bout that for days.. :D:D:D

Antarius said...

cello or did someone use CELLO [tape on ur mouth] :P

§€HÍZØþH®ÑÎÂ1.618 said...

u should listen to my accompanishments in music....I tried playing the guitar for 3 yrs and all i can do is playin the into of nothing else matters by metallica on it.That's it...man, what an accoplishment!!