Thursday, November 03, 2005

Majaa Movie Review



On Deepavali, I saw Majaa, first day first show. It was my 1st first day first show experience but sadly it was not that exciting. I was the only one even attempting to whistle at the Screen 5 theater in the Mayajaal Multiplex. One kid kept looking back angrily at me hoping that I would stop making pressure cooker noises. So I shut up and watched the movie silently :(

Majaa was a truly commercial film with fight sequences, fantasy songs, Gemini style hand signals and of course Vikram and Asin(the only two reasons why people will go to see the movie). This movie reminded me of some of the early eighties movies which come on Sun TV at 2'O clock everyday, masala flicks without logical storylines. I don't mind seeing masala flicks but this one isn't even good in that respect. The comedy is not great and the songs are incredibly mediocre. The fight sequences are good but that's all there is to this movie. Asin comes and goes in a Scoda Octavia without making much of an impact and I really hated her characterisation. Vikram does a good job as the thief/rowdy Madhi and he is well assisted by Pasupathi and Manivannan who act as his brother and father respectively. The main problem with this movie was the lack of a good storyline. It also had an abrupt ending with all the characters patching up and dancing on top of a mountain. Heh, that was a funny scene :) Overall, I feel it's worth giving this film a miss.



My Verdict: 4.5/10 (Watch it only if you are incredibly bored)

18 comments:

Camphor said...

EEk. And to think I'd almost gone!

Heard it dampened many a Diwali. (pun intended)

Since I like neithr Asin nor Vikram, not going to go either.

Kaps said...

this diwali's lineup is the worst ever in recent years.

ada-paavi!!!! said...

watching a masala movie in mayajaal is the worst possible idea, best place to have fun is some theatre like abirami or udyam, there u can truly enjoy a masala movie.

Neon said...

Kaps,
Ure right, both the major Diwali releases are pathetic. I heard that Adhu oru kanaakalam is a good film.

Neon said...

Vatsan,
The tough part is getting first day tickets in Abirami :(

Vishal said...

hmm scathing reviews... i was incredibly bored... so i went bowling.. ha..

Neon said...

Where? Snow or Du?

Gaya said...

Boredom must be directly proportional to how well you bowl... that's all I could say after watchin him bowl. I, on the other hand, managed to dominate the gutter :P Had company though, so haha.

Been a very very long time since I watched a Tamil movie, & seeing that I'd just be a nuisance to any poor soul sittin next to me during the course of the movie, that'll stay that way for a while methinks..

Neon said...

Heh, but u cud have asked the guys in the bowling alley tp lift up that ball-going-into-gutter-preventer-thingy.

Been a very very long time since I watched a Tamil movie, & seeing that I'd just be a nuisance to any poor soul sittin next to me during the course of the movie, that'll stay that way for a while methinks..
It's the same case with me and Hindi movies.

Splutters said...

whats the point in going to a first day first show and not be able to whistle, scream, holler, throw flowers at the screen and see the odd guy in the front row stand up and scream "THALA! UNAKKAGA ENN UYIRAE KODDUPAEN!!".
Pointless I know.

Vishal said...

oh yeh definitely... scored 162 muahaha... and yep she was the dominant gutter queen

Neon said...

You're right Hobbes, pointless! No one even broke a coconut in front of the screen :(

Vishal said...

then u shoulda come to the premier of star wars.. the scene where vader takes his first breath and the imperial march plays in the background and no one even bloody screamed.. whereas they freakin screamed their hearts out for robots

:(:(

Neon said...

Oh yea, that was a pretty awesome scene, i played the clip of a baby laughing wit my cell-phone and people thot vader was pregnant. Heh, people must have been thinking, "Obi Wan really screwed him!".

SC said...

but i DID laugh when Vader screamed 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' like a prissy little girl.
Hallo, shruthi here, found you off of Manasi's blog.
And that picture...did you photoshop it or did they REALLY take that?

Vishal said...

tru... that i lafed too... but cmon the first breath .. damn it..

Neon said...

SC,
If you're talking about the Maja pic, i have no idea; but if you're talking about my profile pic, nope it wasn't photoshopped,. It was taken in front of the Taj Mahal and no one in the picture(other people have been cropped ) knew that the photo was being taken. So, my sis was punching the air, my mom was adjusting her sari,my dad was smiling, and I was looking at some tree i think..

A Kodak Moment!

Neon said...

Vishal,
Well, it's a good thing you didn't see Star Wars the day I did, cos people were laughing their heads off whenever Yoda or the Chewbaccas or the droids or Natalie Portman.. well whenever anything and anyone popped on screen.