Monday, September 05, 2005

A day in hell

Today our school celebrated Teacher's Day. A day when we students exchange places with our teachers and get a taste of the hell they go through every day. Yes, they get to play around in the field, and we the senior students have to take of the junior monkeys. I was in charge of a fourth standard class today and the kids exercised their vocal chords quite a bit during my brief stay there. The class consisted of a weird bunch of people who felt it was quite below their dignity to whisper to each other, though the class I was in was by far the quietest (you can imagine the plight of my other classmates). None of the students in my class wanted to take part in the quiz, I had enthusiastically planned for their entertainment. I had even brought my Bournvita Quiz Book : ( And to add to my woes, they kept pronouncing my name wrong. But I did manage to have some fun today. I got to use the school intercom system and see my teachers behaving like farm animals(not at the same time) . Watching them in the Adzap competition was fun too , though I did get royally snubbed in the rebuttal round by my Principal. At around 10:30 AM today, when I was in class 4"C", I suddenly felt the ground under me moving and the walls shaking. There was an incredibly audible chant of "We will, we will rock you" going around and the students started banging their tables in delight. It was total mayhem. The entire third floor was vibrating with the sound and all the students in my class ran out into the next classroom while I stood gaping at them. I felt that I had to assert my supremacy. So I went to the next class and glared at them. They suddenly stopped singing, well screaming would be a more appropriate term. There was a virtual stampede as the entire class rushed out and banged into me. All of them went back to their own classes and sat down quietly looking at me like they were these precious angels. I had had enough. So I said, "You guys are in big..." when suddenly from the intercom, "Students, please stand up for the prayer." The little rascals mumbled some incoherent rubbish you wouldn't call a prayer anywhere in this planet and as soon as the bell rang, they ran out, once again banging into me. 'Saved by the bell', I thought angrily to myself.

Kids these days have no sense of discipline. When I was their age, I was so nice to the people around me. Even if I banged into others, I would say a quick sorry before running away. I guess you have to undergo days like this in order to fully appreciate your teachers. To put it in simple words, Teachers rock!

Happy Teachers Day!!!

11 comments:

mad said...

You are not old enough to be using expressions like "kids these days", young man.

Ramana Siddharth said...

lol..i found the reference 2 kids these days cute :)u sound like a grand old man..u a fan of albus dumbledore by any chance?anyway ur writing reminds me of how i used 2 feel all big and grown up when i was 16..he,he i guess it is my turn 2 sound like albus!!!

Neon said...

Mad,
Do you think it would be more apt using it at your age?

Siddharth,
Ya, fan of Albus Dumbledore. Someone has to take over his legacy, rite?

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Good lord. You actually get to do that in your school? In my school, I delivered a speech at the assembly every year, and then we gave them gifts and stuff like that. All corny stuff. Bleh.

mad said...

Manasi... when I got to take over during teachers day, spent the whole time educating 11 Std Arts students on Freud's theories of sexual perversion. Good fun. :D

Vishal said...

lol!! kids these days.. hehe yes i had the terror of running a fourth standard class . when i was in tenth to boot. but me bein spl helped hehe. but boy they hurt whn the run into u.

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Madhuri,

Good lord, woman, this is your BROTHER's blog!! Have some decency! He's likely to call you an animal anytime now!

Neon said...

Madhuri, you're an animal!!! Put ur comments on Manasi's blog. Don't think that she'll mind it.

Harish said...

nee 4th-la irukumbodhu evalo seniors-a torture panneerupiyo!! :)

Neon said...

Heh :)

Kanishkaa said...

So ur an old man already?join the club