Sunday, August 07, 2005

A memorable auto ride

Today while I was coming back home from Cricket coaching, I met an auto-driver who was incredibly well-informed about Cricket. I generally pride myself on my Cricket knowledge, but this guy stumped me with the very first question he asked me. "How many different types of dismissals are there in Cricket?" he asked me. I thought for 5 seconds and said "6!” He laughed at me and said that there are 11 types of dismissals and he named them one after the other. My cousin (who was also in the auto with me) and I shared looks of disbelief. He then started talking about the Cricket matches in Sri Lanka. He does not get Ten Sports on his TV but he knew all about the grounds there like what was the maximum score possible in Dambulla, how the wickets suit both batsmen and bowlers and many other stuff like that. I was gaping at him wondering how he knew all this. He then told me and my cousin how we should bat, what kind of Cricket balls we should use and also told us that we have to be proper all-rounders if we want to play for India. I have previously encountered auto-drivers who have sung songs to me. But today’s auto ride was even better than those musical journeys. Today was the first time I had met an auto driver who was as cricket mad as me. Before I knew it, I had reached my house and I was pretty reluctant to get out. While I was paying the auto fare he told me, "I used to only play in my days. Make sure that you do not neglect your studies". I gave him a nod of assurance and left with a big smile on my face.

3 comments:

Leon said...

Eleven kinds of dismissals!! I can't get beyond 7. Maybe you could spell them out for me... :p

Aditya said...

Bowled, Stupmed, Run Out, Caught, LBW, Hit Wicket, Handling the Ball, Obstructing the field, Hitting the ball twice...that makes 9...

Neon said...

Retired out and timed out plus the nine stated by Aditya.(Am posting this as other cos I am typing this from school)