Sunday, July 24, 2005

Sir, how would you like me to cut his hair?

I had a pretty embarassing experience today evening. I had gone to Green Trends for a haircut with my father(he needed a haircut too). I sit on the chair and wait for the barber. He turns up after a couple of minutes, looks at my face, then turns to my father and asks him how he would like my hair to be cut. I am gaping at this guy thinking to myself "Dude! I've had a haircut before. I know the difference between 'short' and 'medium'." My dad told him to ask me that question and he looked at me sheepishly. "Medium", I said forcing a smile. "Which class do you study in?" he asked me in an overlysweet manner. "Twelfth standard" I said putting on a very mature voice. I wasn't surprised to see the shocked look on his face, a look I've seen many times before. Somehow no one seems to think that I look like a twelfth standard student. I am sixteen going on seventeen, for crying out loud. All of them think that I am in the ninth standard or something. Whenever I tell a stranger that I am doing my board exams this year, they're like "Which group are you planning to take?".

I think the fact that I'm short makes me look 5 years younger. Also my apparent lack of muscles doesn't help my cause. It is really an irritating feeling when people younger than you think that they are older and start bossing you around. There is probably one advantage though. When I'm 50 and everyone else is busy having plastic surgery, I'll look like I've just gotten out of college. Or maybe, I'll grow bald and look like a 30 year old with hair problems......I think its best that I assume that the former case is true.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting blogs i must say....

Anonymous said...

though reading this makes me miss madras a bit, it sure keeps me from doing my own work online!

Neon said...

Thanks anonymous. U have a blog? BTW Madras rocks!

Aditya said...

Hahaha! That was very funny! Seriously!

Kanishkaa said...

Amen to that.some months back a guest who came home thought I was in class 11!!
it's better to laugh it off as much as possible.and u r right abt the advantage.we will have the last laugh :-))

Harish said...

I was mistaken for a 14 yr old in my 1st year of college.. don't worry, at least u've got company!! :)

Neon said...

Kanishkaa, you would be pretty tall for a 11th std kid!!
Harish, I'll be surprised if I don't get mistaken for a fourteen year old in college!

Camphor said...

neon, there is good news. We have a guy ins econd year here, and he looks like a sixth grade kid. You look older, don't you? and don't worry, there is one or two growth spurts left if you're 16...

Lavanya said...

You are tall.
Perfect height.
You have very nice shoulders too.
Very nice.
Yes, you are perfect the way you are and you should be very happy about it.
I am.
=)