Friday, June 17, 2005

My first bike ride!

I was incredibly keen to get a learner's license for riding a moped. I had a major problem though. I had never ridden a bike before. I did not even know that some bikes had gears. This was pretty humiliating considering the fact that I had told many of my friends that I was going to come to school in a bike in a few days. I felt that there was no use complaining about my lack of driving skills. We don't have a bike at home and so I asked my classmate whether I could go for a round in his moped. It was a brand new Honda Activa. My classmate surprisingly consented to my pleas. He had parked his moped in a dingy area near the watchman's dungeon. After school got over, both of us went to the "parking lot". He had a really cool bike. It was black and shiny. He asked me whether I had ridden a bike before. I muttered something under my breath and the fool didn't bother to find out the truth. He put the key into this hole like thing in his bike, but I didn't see him turning the bike on. I wanted to clear up a few things before taking my wild ride. I asked him which was the accelerator. Dumb though he is, he figured out that I had no clue about how to ride a bike. Before he could push me away, I put my hand on the accelerator and the next thing you know I am running with the bike. No, really it was as if the bike was dragging me along with it. It was an amazing sight. No one would have ever driven a bike like that before. I pressed the brakes just in time which was a good thing cos I was heading straight for the watchman. I found this test drive really funny but my classmate had a different view on the matter. I had driven the bike right over his foot and he wasn't amused. He used the "F" word to good effect and pounded me nicely. My Tupperware carrier was my only defense. If it hadn't been for it I would have had a broken nose. The interesting thing was I couldn't help laughing at the whole situation. I figured out later that this was a grave mistake. When you drive a bike over a big, fat guy’s foot, do not laugh. I repeat- DO NOT LAUGH. My angered classmate grabbed me by the collar and very nearly tore my shirt. He was about to beat me up again when I felt that I had taken enough of this injustice. “Idiot, why didn’t you tell me that you had switched on your bike”, I asked irritably. I did not wait for his answer. One look at his face was enough. I ran like the wind and crashed into another classmate of mine….
All I can say is that none of what happened on that ill-fated day was my fault. It was just God’s way of punishing me for not eating my spinach that morning.

7 comments:

Savio said...

*lol*
You crack me up!

Neon said...

Thanx savio!

G.Ragavan said...

wonderfulllllllll. ride safe further....but the conclusion was good. liked the mild humour in ur lines.

Neon said...

Don't know if I will ever ride again and thanx.

niru said...

i know u mean to say that the guy was chapothi power dhadia

freespirit said...

rofl @ niru's comments..is niru the same person who wud not desert his emperor??major dodo i bliev :P

Neon said...

I dont think that that it was niru who commented. It was Kiran